Planning Permit Application
Depending on the proposed project, one or more planning permits may be required in addition to other permits required by other City departments such as a building permit or an encroachment permit from the Building & Engineering Department.
- A tree removal permit from the Planning Department may also require an encroachment permit from the Engineering Department if the tree removal service will have equipment staged in the public right-of-way.
Planning Permit Applications may be submitted by email or mail; however, Planning Permit Deposits (see below) will need to be made before the application is processed.
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail to: City of Arcata, 736 F Street, Arcata, CA 95521
Planning Permit Deposit
Planning Permit processes and fees vary depending on the approval authority for the proposed project. A non-refundable deposit is required when submitting a Planning Permit Application. When the deposit is exhausted, customers are billed for any staff time or costs that exceed the amount of the deposit.
If you are not sure which deposit needs to be paid, please contact a Planner by emailing email@example.com.
We accept cash, check, and credit card payments:
- Cash: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call #707-822-5955 to make arrangements for delivery of cash.
- Check: Use the City of Arcata payment boxes in front of City Hall (next to the mailbox) or in the rear City Hall parking lot (near the light pole facing the Library).
- Credit Card: Email email@example.com or call #707-822-5955 to make arrangements to provide credit card information over the phone. (Please note there is a 3% surcharge for credit card charges of $500 or more.)
Larger or fairly complex development projects will usually benefit from a Pre-Application Meeting. This meeting brings together City staff from different departments, and sometimes outside agencies, to answer questions and provide comments on the proposed project. The purpose of the meeting is to understand what City staff will require for the proposed project, which will assist in helping make informed decisions.
There is no cost for Pre-Application Meetings. We request that documents and specific questions are provided at least a week in advance of the meeting. Electronic copies of all documents can be emailed, though hard copies of plans for larger projects may be requested to help facilitate review of the proposed project.
- Meetings are held every other Monday at 3:30 p.m.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or #707-822-5955 to start the process of scheduling a pre-application meeting.
- A Request for Pre-Application Meeting/Review will be required to reserve a meeting date.
Planning Permit Checklists
- Ministerial Tree Removal Information & Checklist
- Vision Clearance Waiver Information & Checklist
- Zoning Clearance Information & Checklist
Zoning Administrator / Director Action (with No Public Hearing)
- Certificate of Compliance Information & Checklist
- Home Occupation Permit Information & Checklist
- Interpretation / Determination Request Information & Checklist
- Lot Line Adjustment Information & Checklist
- Parcel Merger Information & Checklist
- Discretionary Tree Removal Information & Checklist
Zoning Administrator / Director Action (with Public Hearing)
- Coastal Development Information & Checklist
- Hillside Development Information & Checklist
- Parcel Map - Parcel Division into 4 or Fewer Parcels
- Minor Use Permit or Amendment
- Planned Development Permit or Amendment
Use Permit (with Public Hearing)
Supplemental Application Materials
Site Plan / Plot Plan Checklist
Landscape Plan Checklist
- The City Vegetation Management Protocol provides information about nesting birds for tree removals.
Arcata City Hall
736 F Street
Arcata, CA 95521
Planner Counter Hours
Monday - Thursday
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Contact the Director
Director, Community Development