Emily Goldstein, Vice-Mayor
"Like many, I moved to Arcata to attend HSU. This was back in 2012. My Bachelor’s is in Critical Race, Gender, and Sexuality Studies which gave me the tools to understand the ways in which systemic oppression presents in society and grew my passion for social justice. While earning my Master’s in Social Work with a focus on Public Policy at the University of Washington, I developed skills to build concrete change. I knew I wanted to focus my work in Arcata to give back to the community that has given me so much.
I now work promoting public health policies in Arcata and throughout the rural north coast. I work for Rural Initiatives Strengthening Equity (RISE), a program that supports rural tobacco projects by leveraging resources, providing leadership training and opportunities, and offering educational materials specially designed to assist rural communities. I love my job and getting to invest in the health of my community every day.
I have always been passionate about social justice and equity. I envision this community as a leader in establishing new norms around affordable housing, mental healthcare, education, and further integrating sustainability into the foundation of our city. I believe we can redistribute police funds into affordable housing, education, and mental healthcare. For me, this is not a trend, but an extension of years of work toward systemic social reform that centers on racial equity.
I am excited about the opportunity you have given me to work with, and for you. I want to talk with you all so please reach out to my city email or my phone number listed on this page, or Facebook here, and here on Instagram."
Arcata City Council Service
- Elected: 2020
- Sworn In to Office: December 2020
City & Regional Committee Membership
- City Council Representative to the Humboldt Transit Authority (2020-2021)
- League of California Cities, Redwood Empire Division's City Council Representative to the Legislative Committee & Division Business Meetings (2020-2021)
- City Council Liaison to the equity arcata Advisory Team (2020-2021)
- City Council Representative to the Homelessness & Housing Working Group (2020-2021)
- City Council Alternate Representative to the Humboldt County Association of Governments (2020-2021)
- City Council Alternate Liaison to the Redwood Region Economic Development Commission (2020-2021)
- City Council Alternate Representative to the Arcata House Partnership (2020-2021)
- City Council Alternate Liaison to Cooperation Humboldt (2021)