- Departments & Divisions
- Community Development
- Strategic Infill Redevelopment Program
- Ongoing Community Outreach
Ongoing Community Outreach
Questions or Comments? Get in Touch with us.
- Click here to sign up for our Long-Range Planning & Community Visioning eNotification email list to receive updates on upcoming meetings, draft documents and more.
- Email us at email@example.com or give us a call at 707-822-5955.
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
- The Planning Commission and City Council can also be contacted directly through their City email addresses which are available on the City’s website at https://www.cityofarcata.org/446/Planning-Commission and https://www.cityofarcata.org/547/City-Council-Members.
Looking for submitted Public Comment? Click the "Submitted Comments" tab, below.
General Plan Update and Local Coastal Program Update
Planning Commission Review of the General Plan and Gateway Area Plan. The City of Arcata Planning Commission is continuing to work through various chapters of the draft Gateway Area Plan and General Plan at its regularly scheduled planning commission meetings, which take place the second and fourth Tuesday of every month at 6 PM. These meetings can be attended in person or via Zoom at this time. The Planning Commission will also continue to review the Local Coastal Program through 2023. Agendas for upcoming meetings can be reviewed here.
At its March 1, 2023, meeting, the City Council set a timeframe for a Planning Commission recommendation on the Gateway Form-Based Code, the Gateway Plan, and the General Plan Element Updates. The Council requested a recommendation from the Commission on this body of work by the July 11 Planning Commission meeting. In response, the Commission will consider the topics it wishes to cover, the timeframes available to complete the work, and a decision focused meeting process to meet the timeline.
This proposed framework will be discussed at the upcoming March 14, 2023, meeting, along with a review of the topics to consider.
Environmental Review. The City is currently working to prepare an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) to support updates to the General Plan, the Gateway Area Plan, and associated zoning changes needed in order to implement the General Plan. Director David Loya presented information regarding the City's assumptions for the environmental analysis, which can be can be viewed on the City’s SIRP YouTube channel, here.
Below is a calendar of engagement opportunities undertaken since the August 23rd joint study session of the Planning Commission and City Council. Additional past Planning Commission and Committee Meetings where Gateway Plan topics have been reviewed, as well as agendas for upcoming meetings, can be watched on the City's website, here.
Future hearing dates listed in the table below are subject to change.
What comes next?
Review the Draft Community Engagement Report
The City has been working on General Plan updates in earnest for the last three years, starting with the Housing Element adopted in 2019, the Infill Market Study adopted in early 2020, and the release of various elements of the General Plan, beginning with the Gateway Area Plan in 2021. The Housing Element and Infill Market Study each included a summary of engagement. The current phase of General Plan updates will also include an engagement report. This draft Community Engagement Report includes a review of the engagement and decision-making process through June 2022. Additional engagement data that has not yet been incorporated into the final engagement report is provided below for review.
The General Plan update process has involved several different engagement strategies to ensure broad participation. The engagement is ongoing. This is the initial draft report and a final report will be completed at the end of the process. This working draft collates engagement efforts and input to-date. The final report, along with a report of the recommendations, will inform the decision makers before adopting the General Plan updates.
REVIEW THE WORKING DRAFT OF THE ENGAGEMENT REPORT HERE.
Engagement Report Attachments
• Visioning Meetings - Notes by Group
• Walking Tour Polling - Raw Export
Form-Based Code Workshop Results
Form-Based Code Public Workshops.
These sessions covered design standards proposed to regulate building scale and massing, building heights by zone, parking, open space, and more. Older presentations in this series are now complete and can be viewed on the City's YouTube channel, here.
Meeting 1, Part 1: Public Wokshop on Building and Roof Design, Open Space- January 19, 2023 6-8 pm via zoom:The first session focused on architectural and open space regulations utilizing a form-based code.
- A recording of the video can be found here.
- Post-meeting survey results can be found here.
- Please refer to the Look Book when reviewing the survey .
Meeting 1, Part 2: Planning Commission Study Session on Building and Roof Design, Open Space- Saturday, February 11th, 8:30am-12:30pm- (in-person at City Hall).
- Materials for this session and the agenda for the Planning Commission Study Session can be accessed here.
Meeting 2: Public Workshop on Streetscape, Parking, and Open Space- Thursday, February 23rd, 6:-8: pm (via zoom)
- Post-meeting survey results can be found here
- Survey reference materials are embedded within the survey but can be downloaded seperately, here.
- A recording of the video can be found here.
Gateway Plan Policy Recommendations by City Committee
Please note, three City Committees (Parks and Recreation, Energy, and Historic Landmakrs Committees) adopted general recommendations while the remaining committees adopted policy-specific recommendations.
- 2022-07-13 Parks and Recreation Committee Adopted Policy Recommendations
- 2022-07-18 Energy Committee Recommendations
- 2022-07-27 Historic Landmarks Committee Recommendations
- 2022-08-02 Economic Development Committee Recommendations
- 2022-08-02 Transportation Safety Committee Recommendations
- 2022-08-11 Forest Management Committee Recommendations
- 2022-09-20 Wetlands and Creeks Committee Recommendations
Visioning Survey Results
Additional Engagement Data
- Poll Results: August 16th Form-Based Code Workshop
- Poll Results: August 23 Planning Commission/City Coucnil Study Session (decision makers)
- Poll Results: August 23 Planning Commission/City Council Study Session (public)
- Poll Results: October 11 Planning Commisison Meeting (Gateway Height Concerns)
- Poll Results: October 25 Planning Commisison Meeting (Gateway Solutions)
- October 25 Planning Commission Concern/Solution Set (DRAFT)
Open House Poster photos:
|Poster 1||Poster 2||Poster 3||Poster 4||Poster 5|
|Poster 6||Poster 7||Poster 8||Poster 9||Poster 10|
|Poster 11||Poster 12||Poster 13||Poster 14||Poster 15|
|Poster 16||Poster 17||Poster 18||Poster 19||Poster 20|
Public comment recvied on the Infill Program has been saved internally as part of the administrative record for this program. Base don community interest, comments recieved will be uploaded to this website in batches. Generally comments will be uploaded in chronological, monthly batches.
|2021||JANUARY-FEBRUARY 2022||MARCH-MAY 2022||JUNE-JULY 2022|
|AUGUST 1-30 2022||SEPTEMBER 1-30 2022||OCTOBER 1-31 2022||NOV-DECEMBER 2022|