- Committees & Commissions
- Planning Commission
Regular meetings of the Planning Commission take place the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at 6 PM in Arcata City Hall’s Council Chamber, located at 736 F Street. Additional meetings will take place at the call of the Committee Chair.
The Planning Commission has returned to in-person hybrid meetings. The City Council asks that when attending City meetings, persons socially distance as best they can and be courteous to those who continue to choose to wear a mask.
Details on how to participate or observe their meetings on TV, YouTube or on Zoom are provided in each meeting agenda which can be found here.
Agendas & Archives
Meeting agendas and agenda archives for the Planning Commission can be found here.
To find meeting minutes and agendas dated from 2011-2013, click here. To review the Planning Commission Annual Reports from 2007 - 2016, please click here.
City Staff Liaison
Overview of Commission Duties
The Planning Commission consists of 7 members who have interest, knowledge and expertise in areas of City planning and development. Of the 7 members, 5 must live within Arcata City limits and 2 may live or work in the Arcata planning area.
The role of the Planning Commission is to:
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the City Council and City staff on all matters related to City planning and the physical development of Arcata and its surrounding areas.
- Provide recommendations to the City Council regarding the preparation, adoption, amendment, administration and implementation of the General Plan and its various elements, the Local Coastal Plan and Specific Plans.
- Make recommendations to the City Council regarding preparation, adoption, amendment and implementation of the City's land use, zoning, subdivision, development review, design review, environmental review and other related policies, ordinances and standards;
- Review and take action to approve, approve subject to conditions or modifications or to deny various applications for development or use of land as provided in the City's Land Use and Development Guide, Title IX of the Arcata Municipal Code.
- Review and make decisions with respect to Negative Declarations, Environmental Impact Reports and other environmental documents prepared for private and public projects.
- Review and make decisions regarding the consistency of proposed acquisition or disposition of real property by the City with the General Plan and any applicable Specific Plans, as provided by State law.
- Review and make decisions about the consistency of proposed capital improvement projects and programs with the General Plan and any applicable Specific Plans, as provided by State law.
- Exercise any other powers and duties as may be assigned by state law or by the Land Use Code, Title IX of the Arcata Municipal Code.
The powers and duties of the Planning Commission are specified in the State Planning and Zoning Law, Title 7 of the California Government Code and outlined in Arcata Municipal Code Sections 2208 to 2211.