UPDATED: Friday, January 7, 2022
The Community Development Department released the draft of the Gateway Area Plan on Wednesday, December 1, 2021 which provides details of how Arcata’s Gateway Area could be redeveloped to create more housing and job opportunities for the community.
The Gateway Area Plan draft will be circulated to the public for approximately one year before it can be adopted by the City Council, and members of the public may review the Gateway Area Plan draft here.
Click here to watch a 60-minute informational video about the Gateway Area Plan draft.
City staff held the first series of public meetings to discuss the contents of the draft in December 2021. Video recordings of these meetings, including the virtual Town Hall, Planning Commission and City Council meetings are available to view on the City of Arcata’s YouTube page.
The Community Development Department has scheduled more public engagement opportunities this month which include:
- Tuesday, January 11 - The Gateway Area Plan draft will be discussed at the Planning Commission’s regularly scheduled meeting at 6 PM. The meeting agenda and Zoom link will be available here on Friday, January 7.
- Tuesday, January 18 - The draft plan will be discussed at the Transportation Safety Committee’s meeting at 4:30 PM. The meeting agenda and Zoom link will be available here on Friday, January 14.
- Thursday, January 20 - The draft plan will be discussed at the Historic Landmarks Committee meeting at 4 PM. The meeting agenda and Zoom link will be available here on Friday, January 14.
- Friday, January 21 & Saturday, January 22 - City staff will host an in person Open House from 11:30 AM to 7 PM on Friday , January 21 and from 9:30 AM to 3 PM on Saturday, January 22. The Open House will be held at the Arcata Community Center, located at 321 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Parkway. The Open House will serve as an self-guided opportunity for community members to provide feedback on topics including building scale, circulation, the upcoming environmental review process, and ask questions of City staff. COVID-19 health and safety protocols will be in place including wearing a face covering regardless of vaccination status and physical distancing.
- Saturday, January 22 - City staff will be present at the Arcata Plaza Farmers’ Market from 10 AM to 2 PM to share information, answer questions, and help community members complete the Community Vision Survey.
More opportunities for public engagement regarding the Gateway Area plan draft in February will be announced as dates are finalized. Community members are encouraged to sign up for the Community Development Department’s Long Range Planning & Community Visioning email notification list to stay updated on public comment and engagement opportunities. Sign up by clicking here.
The Community Development Department has created a Community Visioning Survey for residents and non-residents to share their thoughts on Arcata’s future. Based on community feedback, the deadline to participate has been extended to Friday, April 1, 2022. Feedback received from the survey will help shape Arcata’s future development priorities. The survey is available in Spanish and in English, and can be accessed here.
Based on public input received in the last month, the Community Development Department has identified common concerns related to the draft plan and has created a fact sheet for the public to review. The fact sheet will be updated regularly, and is available here.
Arcata residents are encouraged to share their input and reach out to the Community Development Department with questions regarding the draft of Arcata Gateway Area Plan. City staff can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 707-825-2213. In addition, City staff is available to meet with individuals or groups of community members interested in discussing the plan. Please contact 707-825-2213 to schedule a virtual or in-person meeting.
For more information on the Gateway Area Plan draft or to learn more about Community Development projects and plans, please click here or call 707-825-2213.
A portion of the Gateway Plan Area, courtesy of the City of Arcata.