Earth Day is Saturday, April 22 and the City of Arcata would like to encourage the public celebrate by enjoying Humboldt’s beautiful environment, supporting the local community and incorporating zero waste practices into everyday routines.
- Join the Friends of the Arcata Marsh on one of their weekly Saturday tours at 2:00 p.m. Meet at the Arcata Marsh Interpretive Center for a 90-minute guided walking tour to learn more about the Arcata Marsh and its important ecosystem.
- Join the Audubon Society for a Birdwalk. Walks are held at South I Street (Klopp Lake) in Arcata on Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. and every third Sunday at 9 a.m. starting at West Del Norte and Railroad street in Eureka and walking along the waterfront.
- Conduct a beach or neighborhood clean-up. Cal Poly Humboldt’s Waste-Reduction Resource Awareness Program is hosting a beach clean-up at Moonstone Beach on Earth Day at 12 p.m. There will be a group bus ride using public transportation. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (707) 826-4162 for more information.
- Go to the weekly Arcata Plaza Farmers’ Market on Saturdays. Supporting small local farmers and businesses is a great way to celebrate environmentalism and give back to our community.
Food For Thought
- Food waste is a significant problem affecting the environment and society. It is estimated that one third of food produced for human consumption is lost or wasted globally. When food is sent to the landfill it contributes to greenhouse gas emissions, specifically methane emissions. Prevent food waste by buying only what is needed and composting food scraps. Composting reduces greenhouse gas emissions, builds healthy soils, conserves water and energy and contributes to our local economy. For more information visit cityofarcata.org/294/Food-Yard.
- Plastic pollution and disposable foodware is another environmental issue. The City of Arcata has implemented disposable foodware regulations, which require businesses to use fiber-based compostable materials for to-go orders instead of plastic. Develop a new habit on Earth Day by bringing your clean, durable, reusable containers for to-go orders at your favorite local restaurant in Arcata! For more information visit cityofarcata.org/885/Disposable-Foodware-Regulations!