CodeRED Emergency Alerts
The City of Arcata uses CodeRED to send emergency notifications by phone, email, text and social media to keep residents informed of evacuation notices, utility outages, water main breaks, fires, floods, chemical spills or other emergencies.
Humboldt County Alerts
To sign up for Humboldt County emergency alerts, please click here.
Household Emergency Preparedness Tips
Earthquake Warning California
Earthquake Warning California is the country’s first publicly available, statewide warning system that could give California residents crucial seconds to take cover before an earthquake. Managed by the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES), Earthquake Warning California uses ground motion sensors from across the state to detect earthquakes before humans can feel them and can notify Californians to “Drop, Cover and Hold On” in advance of an earthquake.
To receive earthquake warnings, individuals and family members can download the MyShake App and ensure phone settings are adjusted to receive emergency alerts.
The map below is to help you protect yourself from the worst-case tsunami expected along our coast. It is based on the Relative Tsunami Hazard Maps developed by Humboldt State University and tsunami inundation mapping by the California Geological Survey.
What you can do to prepare before the next tsunami:
- Know the best evacuation route—practice walking your route at night and in stormy weather.
- Keep a “grab and go” kit by the door with what you need to survive for a day.
- Create emergency plans and discuss with family, coworkers, and neighbors.
- Consider how to evacuate pets—such as dogs on leashes and cats in crates.
- Prearrange assistance from neighbors if you need help evacuating.
- Time is of the essence! The largest tsunami will come from an earthquake you will feel. Evacuate as soon as you can safely move.
- Get notified: sign up for City and County alerts.
- 2020 Humboldt County Operational Area Hazard Mitigation Plan-Final Volume 1: Area-Wide Elements
- 2020 Humboldt County Operational Area Hazard Mitigation Plan -Final Volume 2: Planning Partner Annexes